Friday, December 17, 2010

December birthday: Curse or blessing?

The Chronicle had a little story online about December babies.
Today is my mom's birthday.
As an adult she has enjoyed having a birthday so close to Christmas. We had traditions--like decorating the Christmas tree on Mom's birthday after dinner. As an adult I have carried on my aunt's tradition of giving my mom ornaments as birthday gifts.
I think as a kid having a birthday so close to Christmas wasn't so great. That whole here's your birthday AND Christmas present is total BS.
I have many friends and a few family members who have birthdays in December. When we were all still exchanging birthday and Christmas presents I made sure December babies
got a birthday present separate from Christmas and wrapped in birthday paper.
This year Curt and I took my mom (and Fred) to Paris to celebrate Mom's birthday. We thought since London was so close we would visit for a few days, too. Ed and Marilyn (Curt's parents) met us in Paris to celebrate their 45th wedding anniversary. After Paris we headed to Amsterdam. One item on Marilyn's bucket list was to visit Keukenhof gardens and she got to do it!
Happy birthday, Mama!
(Photos are of us on the Eiffel Tower. I was so happy to take my mom there that I got all emotional. Once I was over that I was ready for a picture. Then she wanted to show her appreciation with a kiss on the cheek.)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW! What a terrific blog today!I
feel very special that I was in your blog. I will always remember
what a wonderful trip you and Curt gave to me. I will have fantastic memories forever! Hugs -Mama

Monday, December 20, 2010 6:06:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home