Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Fingernails

So according to my guitar teacher my fingernails on my left hand are too long. At first I thought that was untrue. But I realized they are getting in the way of me holding down the strings correctly. I made a reference to Dolly and told him I will cut them, which I haven't yet ...
I think it was the first day of class my instructor told us that there was no way Dolly Parton plays the guitar, at least not with her left hand. You can't hold down the strings with nails that long. Right hand, they can be as long as you want.
Which is what I have issues with. I don't like the idea of having my left hand nails much shorter than the right. But you need them shorter on the left and longer on the right to strum.
My nail dilemma may get in the way of me becoming a great guitarist.

Also at one point I went to "powder my nose." When I came back I put lotion on my hands--I hate that dry feeling after washing my hands. He had commentary for that, too.
He actually cracks me up! His style is a little gruff and rough. But he is totally nice. It is hard to describe.
Last night he was talking about Eric Clapton and then asked us if we had heard of him. We all laughed. He said, you would be surprised when I have talked about him before and students don't know who I am talking about.
Anyway, guitar is coming along. Much harder than I imagined. But I am learning the chords, learning how to read tabulature, learning a few songs, and will soon be able to play to Blues well. :)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it is great that you are taking guitar lessons. Your teacher sounds like he's fun.
Keep up the practicing. Hugs -M

Thursday, May 07, 2009 7:18:00 PM  
Anonymous Penny said...

Ann, tell your teacher that AFTER you've learned to play without longer nails, yes you totally can play with them.

By the end of my year taking it in high school, I could play with nails that were long. So there! ;-)

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 8:20:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home