Wednesday, August 27, 2008

More about military beanies

Last night I went online and ordered Moda Dea 100% superwash wool in dark muted colors for my beanies for the troops. I stopped at Michaels armed with my 40% off coupon to buy some yarn. Their selection of wool yarn sucks! One I couldn't figure out how it could be washed and the other was for felting. And I really don't want to figure out how big I have to make the thing for it to shrink. So I just ordered what I knew would definitely work online. And I should be getting my yarn next week. Which is perfect since I gotta make a baby blanket first (a baby blanket that I have already knit but am not happy with the results so I am knitting a second one).
Penny is doing some research into whether or not we can send acrylic beanies. But we both agree that we would feel safer sending them wool caps that will keep warm even when wet and won't harm them should they encounter heat/fire.
We seem to be finding information that varies. Some I have read that the troops can't wear synthetic fibers "outside the wire." So maybe troops on ships can wear the acyrlic and the ground troops can't? I dunno. Also dark, muted colors are recommended for ground toops but troops on ships can wear any colors. My brain is getting flooded with information.
I am sticking with the pattern I have and the Moda Dea 100% superwash wool for the troops.
And just in case you need the pattern, click here.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the Moda Dea link! I found mine at Jo-Anns, but they only had about three colors.

I agree about Michaels' yarn selection. It's pretty much novelty yarn, acrylics and the cotton stuff I buy for my washcloths.

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 2:39:00 PM  
Blogger JenC said...

that is so cool that you guys are knitting beanies for the troops. what a great project!

Friday, August 29, 2008 8:15:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey, catching up with your blog now that i'm back.

beanies for the military sounds awesome!

Saturday, August 30, 2008 1:40:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home