Sunday, March 23, 2008

Happy Garden Day!

Curt and I don't really celebrate Easter. We aren't religious, we don't have any family here and we don't have kids, remember we have a cat--or let me rephrase, I have a cat. So Easter Sunday is just another day for us.
So today we went to Home Depot and stocked up on stuff for our garden. When we got home Curt shoveled the dirt up and I hoed it. That was hard work. It's a good thing I didn't go to the gym today--got my workout in the dirt.
We planted only three tomato plants this time (instead of 6 like last year). Last year we planted Early Girl tomatoes. This year: one Big Boy, one Better Boy and one Roma Grape tomato plant. So we will see who performs better: the girls or the boys.
Herbs: parsley, mint, chives and basil. Our oregano from last year still looks decent--just needs some water.
We planted green bell peppers, jalapenos, sweet banana chilis and tabasco chilis. We also planted broccoli and eggplant.
We did all plants this year. Last year we did a lot of seeds and that took some time for things to grow and they were just really little--like our one bell pepper and our tiny carrots.
We have some space left for pumpkins. Our friend Lisa is gonna give us some seeds for some
mini pumpkins.












The white salty looking stuff is called Stay Away. Organic, natural stuff to keep that damn cat away from using our garden plot as a litter box. I have to say I find that rather disgusting. I don't think cats should be able to roam around and (expletive) in other people's yard. Dogs can't, so why should cats be able to. Well, dogs shouldn't, even though sometimes they do.

2 Comments:

Blogger kate said...

yeah spring! I planted stuff this weekend too. I put them in pots tho. We have a yard, but there are so many critters in the ground and from what I understand the soil in florida takes a lot of work to get things to grow in it. who knew?

Monday, March 24, 2008 5:00:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had lots of fun starting your spring garden. Can't wait to see your garden grow!
Hugs -M

Monday, March 24, 2008 12:02:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home