Saturday, January 29, 2011

What a crazy freakin day!

Before I start this story, let me just saw I am OK, Curt is OK, and our neighbors are OK.
So today I went to the gym and then grocery. At the grocery I rented a Rug Doctor to clean our carpet. I thought today would be a good day since Curt had to work. Later in the day my plan was to meet my friend Jenn for dinner. When I was renting the carpet cleaner I had to show ID and credit card. As the guy was taking down my address he noticed the name of my street and asked me what was going on. I told him I hadn't been home since earlier in the morning. He told me he saw a bunch of cop cars.
So I get to my street and sure enough it is closed off on both sides. I ask if I can get to my house. The cops tell me they can't let me in because of the crime scene. I have no idea what has happened.
I pulled over to the next street and parked and tried to figure out what I was gonna do. I saw my upstairs neighbor and his daughter. They told me that next door neighbor's ex-boyfriend came over with what appeared to be a gun. The cops showed up and the guy was shot dead. (That was a very brief description.) Details here and here. Those two had a history of some nasty fights, too. (It's quiet possible that Joey witnessed the entire incident from his kitty perch.)
I was supposed to get some stuff done around the house, including cleaning the carpet. Then the plan was to meet my friend Jenn for dinner. (She was planning to come to my 'hood early to hang out in a coffee shop and do some studying.)
So I called her to see if she could meet earlier. I then bundled my cold groceries together and headed to McNally's for a warm drink (I didn't have super warm clothes on as I was still in my gym clothes) and to go to the bathroom. When I can't get to my house where do I go? I go see my favorite bartender, John.
I met up with Jenn after my drink at McNally's and we had lunch and wine. Lovely. Then we decided to see if my street was clear. It was. I asked the officers at the house next door if I could go into my house. They said yes. So I went to the street over to get the car, groceries and carpet cleaner.
After dropping everything off and changing into warmer, non-workout clothes Jenn and I headed to coffee. Then I came home and cleaned my carpet.
Once done with the carpet cleaning I was exhausted. So I took a shower and now Curt and I are relaxing with beer, venison pepperoni sticks and Portlandia.


Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW! What a crazy day! Glad that
you both are ok. I hope Joey won't
be traumatized by what he MAY have seen!!! Went to the movies last night and came home late. Sorry that I didn't call. Hugs -M

Monday, January 31, 2011 11:12:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home