Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Reduce, reuse, recycle

I screwed up my font and I can't fix it. Bummer.
So the other day I wrote about how I bought the Lysol soap dispenser. My post received--hmmm, let's say--an interesting response from someone I don't know. I thought it was over the top. But whatever.
But it did make me think about what I try do to be environmentally friendly.
We recycle: bottles, cans, cardboard, junk mail, etc.
We compost in our kitchen and in the outside green bin.
We run our sprinklers only a few times a week and at night to maximize the soaking time and keep evaporation to a minimum.
We have lowered the water in our toilet tank by placing two bricks in the tank.
We use reusable bags when shopping at the grocery, Target, etc.
We water our garden in the evenings.
We are a one-car family with public transport used on a daily basis.
We used to live in a townhouse in Phoenix many years ago. That complex did not offer recycling, just garbage. We took it upon ourselves to buy bins and recycle our cans and bottles.
We do what we can. And those are just the things I can think of.
And I do wish that many items you have to buy (wipes, cleaners, etc.) used much less packaging.
Also, after cleaning the litterbox I really don't want to touch a soap pump. That's nasty.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jen F said...

Casual carpool, FTW! That made all the other public transit hiccups worthwhile.

Wednesday, June 16, 2010 9:53:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i just read that post. pretty ridiculous what that guy wrote considering he doesn't even know you and how much you do to stay "green".

alicia

Thursday, June 17, 2010 9:50:00 AM  
Anonymous Jodie said...

That's what elbows are for! (;

You do what you can. That's my thinking. I wouldn't worry about that random post. You definitely do enough -- when and where you can -- in other areas.

I like the idea of an auto dispenser. I'm the same way after I clean my turtle's tank.

Sunday, June 20, 2010 11:21:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

learned something new from this blog entry. never thought about watering plants at night to maximize the soaking time and keep evaporation to a minimum. it's a great tip since it's usually about 80 degrees where we are. last time d was on a biz trip i nearly killed all the plants. this time i'm determined to keep them alive. so been following your trick and so far nothing is dead or even close to being crispy!

alicia

Sunday, July 11, 2010 6:28:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home