Monday, June 14, 2010

Automatic soap dispenser

Last week when I was at Target I bought one of those Lysol automatic soap dispensers. (I had a coupon, so I thought I would try it out.) At work in some of our kitchens we have automatic soap dispensers. I like the idea of it.
So far I like the Lysol one for the most part. I think it dispenses too much soap, and there doesn't appear to be a way to adjust that.
In the full kit the soap options are Cucumber Splash and Green Tea & Ginger, which I bought. For those of you who know I have a high sensitivity to perfumey smells. I thought the Cucumber Splash would be less offensive. I tried out the scratch 'n' sniff sticker and bleh. The Green Tea & Ginger smelled a little more mild. I noticed on the Web site I linked to the refills come in the two smells mentioned above and Grapefruit Essence. I will have to try that one next time.
It is nice to just hold your hand under the dispenser and you get soap and you don't have to touch anything.
Who knew I could write so much about soap and a dispenser.

2 Comments:

Blogger Broofa said...

Have you considered the ramifications that come with products like this? I know that not having to touch the soap dispenser may seem like a benefit, but... well... you're washing your hands. :)

Meanwhile, you're using a product that comes in a ridiculous amount of foil, plastic, and paper packaging, that requires new batteries and new (ridiculously packaged) replacement cartridges every few months, and that will likely wear out and have to be completely replaced every 6-12 months because the only way they can offer it at an attractive price is to skimp on every possible aspect of construction.

... all of which significantly inflates your overall carbon footprint, and your footprint down at the local landfill where all that junk ends up degrading and, eventually, contaminating your water supply.

You are, if anything actually reducing your overall health and well-being by using this. And paying good money to do it, sadly. Oh, and of course it's going to dispense too much soap! Lysol is making their money on the replacement cartridges... you can't really expect them to conserve for you, can you?

Sorry to be such a downer, but it offends me when I see companies tricking consumers into buying "new and improved" gimmicks that, really, serve no purpose other than to fill our landfills. (I'm looking at you, Swiffer!)

Cheers, and I hope this helps convince you to be a more thoughtful consumer in the future.

- Robert

Tuesday, June 15, 2010 7:15:00 AM  
Blogger Curt said...

Robert,

Sorry to be such a downer, but you need to get a life. It's a soap dispenser.

Curt

Wednesday, June 16, 2010 11:19:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home