Thursday, April 02, 2009

How often do you shampoo?

Most of my life I have washed my hair just about every day. If I skipped a day my head would get super dry and itchy and my hair would be super greasy.
I have known that that just isn't good for your hair and scalp.
At the end of December last year I started washing my hair every other day. It was tough at first. But it was over winter break and I wasn't at work so whatever.
Now I am down to about three times a week. I think my hair looks pretty OK. My hair and scalp have gotten used to it.
The whole greasy issue can be bunked by this: Experts say as someone washes less, their sebaceous glands began producing less sebum oil.
Two to three times a week is recommended. And think about it, if you wash less then you also blow dry less, straighten less, etc. Much less damage to your hair.
For the article go here.
Listen on this subject on NPR.

3 Comments:

Blogger Erica Kern O'Neill said...

I find that it is more my hair products, than my hair, that makes my hair dirty. I often rinse my hair and conditioner it but don't shampoo and it looks fine, especially when I wear it curly...something about the "dirty" hair holds the curl better. Go figure!

Thursday, April 02, 2009 4:48:00 PM  
Blogger Ann said...

Yea, I find that my hair styles better when it is "dirty."
Since I started straightening my hair I no longer use gel. That would be a disaster.
Now I just use a little hairspray to tackle the crazy little hairs that stick up!

Thursday, April 02, 2009 5:17:00 PM  
Blogger JenC said...

my hair always looks nicer and less frizzy on the "second day." (my hairdresser recommended that, too.) but sometimes it's hard, especially if i go to the gym... i just want to wash it! :)

Saturday, April 04, 2009 9:52:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home