Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Must conserve water

We recently received a letter from EBMUD (East Bay Municipal Utility District) letting us know that a water shortage emergency has been declared. They have averaged out how much we use every 2 months (that's how often we are billed), what our goal is and what we are allocated to use. For every unit (748 gallons) we use over our allocation we pay $2 surcharge. (When I first read the letter I thought we were going to get charged 2 bucks for every gallon over our allocation. Now that would have sucked!) (And we share our utilities with the people upstairs.)
Growing up in the desert (Tucson)--where they have to suck water out of dirt--OK, not literally--I know how to be careful with my water. I never ever brushed my teeth with the water running. But some people grew up that way and it just baffles me.
I digress. ...
I have really been thinking about my water usage the past couple of days. I don't think we go too crazy. Curt is going to water the garden a little less. We have timed sprinklers in the front of our house that we are going to have water less. The way our sink in the kitchen is set up we run the water while we wash dishes. So I will try to change that habit. I need to get some little dixie cups for the bathroom for when I take my meds in the morning. I now wash my face with cold water instead of waiting for 5 minutes for the water to heat up.
Anyone got any other suggestions?

9 Comments:

Blogger Ed said...

Showering with ones spouse might be a good idea.

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 4:46:00 PM  
Blogger Erica Kern O'Neill said...

Can you gather your rainwater for watering your garden during drier times?

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 7:12:00 PM  
Blogger Erica Kern O'Neill said...

don't use as much
C

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 7:13:00 PM  
Blogger Erica Kern O'Neill said...

That comment is courtesy of my smart ass husband.

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 7:16:00 PM  
Blogger JenC said...

i have read that if you do want to wait for the water to get warm (in the sink, shower, etc.), just collect the warm-up water in a bucket and use it to water outside.

we've just let our grass die for the summer... it takes SO much water to keep it alive here.

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 9:36:00 AM  
Blogger Jodie said...

I collect my shower water to water my indoor and outdoor plants.

I don't know if this would work in your climate, but I read that you can water every other day, but water for a little longer on the "on" days. You still use less water overall.

How about laundry? Make sure you wash full loads.

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 11:44:00 AM  
Blogger kate said...

personally i like ed's idea.

although that might actually take longer... but i digress.

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 3:10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That Ed is a wild and crazy guy!
Coming from the desert, you are very experienced! Hugs -M

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 8:08:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can't you also reuse cooking water on your plants? As in, let your veggie(or whatever)-cooking water cool down in the pot and then pour it over your plants?

I think they get extra nutrients that way (though it's kinda cannibalistic for the plants, if you think about it ...)

Thursday, July 31, 2008 7:58:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home