Thursday, March 09, 2006

A year and a day

Yesterday was the one year mark for me moving to the Bay Area. I came up with my mom, Fred (my stepdad) and Joey (my cat).
Joey has become quite the little traveler in his 12 short years. He has lived in Arizona, Oregon, Arizona again and now California.
We arrived on a Tuesday in the early evening. We met Curt at his and my new apartment. Dropped off the cat and my clothes and headed to dinner.
We didn't get our furniture until the following Monday. So all we had in our apartment was our air mattress, some clothes, the cat and our computer.
I believe it was the second night that I was in town Curt and I decided to rent a movie--which we could watch on Curt's laptop. We went to to local video store, Video Maniacs. We found a movie we wanted and I started to walk toward the counter. I noticed a tall man walking out with a hat and a scarf around his mouth and nose. Me being naive I thought, "I wonder why he is so bundled up? It isn't even that cold outside." Then Curt called me back to him and told me that that guy had just held the place up. I had no idea and almost walked into him. Right after the "Beanie Bandit" left the clerk called the police. So we had to wait around for Curt to give a statement. We read the next week in a police brief in the "Berkeley Daily Planet" that the "Beanie Bandit" had been armed. Lovely, huh? And I almost walked into him. (The "Daily Planet" referred to him as the Beanie Bandit by the way.)
We ended up leaving without renting a movie. But we did go back. But we have now given our business to Netflix, but not because of the Beanie Bandit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home