Tuesday, February 28, 2006

This is a scary world we live in

I was reading an article on the Tucson Citizen Web site today about a young woman fighting to preserve women's rights.
Read some disturbing information below:

  • The South Dakota Legislature - with the stated intent of creating a court challenge to Roe v. Wade - passed a law last week to prohibit all abortions, except to save the life of the mother.
  • In Arizona, the extremists who control the Legislature are pushing through a bill that would prevent teenagers from getting birth control or treatment for sexually transmitted diseases without parental consent and are blocking a bill to require health-care providers who treat rape victims to provide access to emergency contraception.

I had heard about South Dakota on CNN last week. But only that the Legislature was trying to pass the bill. According to the story last week, if it became law women or girls who are victims of rape or incest can't have an abortion. (Abortion would only be OK if a woman's life was in danger.) I don't even know where to begin on this. It makes my blood boil! I can understand if people are against abortion--but I believe every WOMAN should have the right to choose abortion, adoption or keeping the baby. Being a victim of rape or incest is already a horrible tragedy for anyone to have to deal with. But if they happen to get pregnant they HAVE TO HAVE the baby. So they are being punished for being a victim. Why should a 15-year-old girl have to have a baby who will have the same father and grandpa? That is just so wrong. I don't even think I am giving this argument justice. I am so mad right now. I am shaking my head. Anyway, I think you all know where I am going with this.

This Arizona info was news to me. When I was in high school my health class was a joke. We didn't learn anything about sex education. And my high school, Tucson High Magnet, had (and probably still does) the highest pregnancy rates. So someone wasn't learning something.

Kids are gonna have sex--whether you teach them about sex or not. That is the plain and simple truth. They WILL have sex whether or not there are condom dispensers in the bathrooms. So educate kids and keep them safe.

AND ... Keep Your Laws Off My Body!

3 Comments:

Blogger Erica Kern O'Neill said...

To quote my favorite t-shirt:

Your body is a battleground.

Support legal abortion

birth control

and women's rights

(what is scary is that leah bought me this shirt while in college, over 10 years ago and I still need to wear it to make my point known. I guess I'll be wearing it forever. This whole situation makes me very, very sad.)

Tuesday, February 28, 2006 7:44:00 PM  
Blogger Ann said...

I saw a T-shirt online that said: Homosexuality Stops Abortion. LOVE it!
But, yes, it is sad that we are still having to fight this battle.

Wednesday, March 01, 2006 9:22:00 AM  
Blogger Erica Kern O'Neill said...

That is great!

Wednesday, March 01, 2006 3:33:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home