Tuesday, June 28, 2005

A bit of a scare

You all have probably noticed that I haven't blogged in awhile. Life has been a little nuts.
Before I start the story I just want everyone to know that Curt is fine and now home. ...
Curt left for work Thursday morning feeling just fine. By the time he was on the BART train he was feeling icky. He got off the train hoping the fresh air would make him feel better. It didn't. He went to work and just starting feeling worse. So he came home. He was sick to his stomach and violently ill all day at home. I came home with soup and diet 7UP. He was hoping the 7UP would help--but it didn't.
A little after 8 p.m. he told me that we needed to go to the hospital. (When diabetics get dehydrated their blood sugar and electrolytes get all of out whack.) Curt told me that I would have to help him to the car because he was so weak. By the time he got to the couch he just couldn't walk anymore. He told me that I should call an ambulance. So the paramedics came and took him to the ER.
I was in that horrible ER waiting room for about 2 hours. I asked about Curt and they took me back to him. Curt already looked a lot better at that point. They were pumping him with fluids and antibiotics. I met with the doctor--he asked me a few questions. Viral infection was what the doctor was thinking.
Curt was admitted into the ICU a little after midnight. I left the hospital a little before 1 a.m.
I came back the next morning about 9. Curt was feeling much better. (The nurse mentioned that since he came in he had about 7 liters of fluids. He was really dehydrated.) Curt had some jell-O and did OK with that. The doctor came around about 10:30 a.m. and said he could be transferred out of the ICU and into a room. The doctor also thought he could go home Saturday morning. Curt had a little lunch and felt just fine.
I stayed until about 2:30. Curt told me that I should go home and rest a bit. He was finally transferred to his room about 3:30. I went home to eat, rest and make some more family phone calls.
I got back to the hospital about 6:30 p.m. or so. He was looking good. Curt had eaten some dinner and was watching a Giants/A's game. I stayed until about 8:20 and then headed home.
The next morning I called about 11 a.m. and Curt was feeling sick again. He was given more antibiotics--orally--and he was able to keep it down. And he was given some anti-nausea drug.
By the time I got to the hospital about 1 p.m. he was feeling good again. He was off his IV. I stayed for a couple of hours and then ran some errands. I got back to the hospital about 6:30. Curt had eaten a good amount of his dinner and felt OK. I stayed until about 8 and headed home.
I talked to Curt about 10:30 Sunday morning. The doc had given him the go ahead to get out of there. Of course it took forever to discharge him. We got home about 12:20.
We had some lunch and then Curt took a good long nap. He stayed home Monday and is at home today.
By the way, the A's spanked the Giants all weekend. It was wonderful! Sunday it was 16-0. HA!

2 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie Matlock Allen said...

Wow, that is frightning! I'm glad he's doing better & send my best to him. What a crummy way to spend the weekend :P

Wednesday, June 29, 2005 10:47:00 AM  
Blogger Ann said...

Thanks. I will pass that along. Yes, crummy weekend. So this weekend we are gonna take it easy and probably go into the city for fireworks.

Wednesday, June 29, 2005 5:56:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home