Saturday, April 09, 2005

My new second home and knitting

So this past week I was at the DMV FOUR times. Yes, four. I went Tuesday to get my license. In California they make you take a written test. (I had to do that when I moved to Oregon, too. But as my friend Kate informs me--the other states she has lived in she has not: Arizona, Iowa, Conn., and Rhode Island, too, I think.) Anyway, I had 36 questions and only got two wrong. As Curt says, I got smarts real good. And unlike Arizona and Oregon I have to wait for my license in the mail. What's up with that? So I have a lovely paper one in the meantime.
Wednesday I went back to register the car. I get all the paperwork done and paid the fees and then the woman asks me for my smog certificate. (It's like emissions--but they call it smog here. Crazy Californians!) I was unaware that a newer car had to have a certificate. I could have sworn the California DMV Web site said I didn't have to get one. She tells me all "new" cars to California have to have one to register. Lovely!
So Thursday morning I go to a shop that does smog checks. They are all over the place. The car gets a certificate and I am back at the DMV. I finish up the paperwork. They give me my new plates and tools to take off the old one. I go out to the car and it is starting to rain. I crouch down to unscrew the plate. She gave me pliers and a standard screwdriver. Well, I need a phillips. But I figure that I can use the pliers. Which I did. It just took forever. So I am soaked but have new plates. I walk back into the office to return the tools and surrender my old license. I walk out of the office and the sun is shining and the birds are chirping. Boy, am I happy! (The weather here is so bizarre. You wake up and it is sunny and nice, an hour later it is ugly and stormy and then once again sunny.)
After I get home and change out of my wet clothes and have some soup for lunch I head back to the smog check place to have the truck checked out. It passes and I come home.
Friday morning back to the DMV. I am at the counter doing the paperwork. The clerk and I get into it. She was a big B-word. We had a misunderstanding and she gets all p*ssy. Anyway, eventually she starts being nicer--well, not nice, just not rude anymore. I surrender my plate and she gives me a temp. permit. Pickup trucks in California are considered commercial vehicles. So they must be weighed. So guess who is NOT going back to the DMV again??? Curt can finish that up.
Now to my knitting ... I have been wanting to learn to knit. I signed up for a class at Michaels for the end of this month. I was at Target the other day and they have little knit kits. Comes with instructions, DVD, yarn and needles. I bought the "funky boa." I tried to follow the DVD and book to make the funky boa. I decided I needed to try with regular yarn first, not the fun yarn. So I went to Michaels and bought a honkin' thing of yarn for cheap. So Thursday, Friday and Saturday (today) I struggled. Well, I finally got it today. I am so excited. Between the DVD and a book Leah gave me I was able to figure it out. So everyone get ready to start getting odd shaped scarves and such. :)
Oh, and I am no longer a housewife, starting Monday I will be working ... well, for four months anyway. Onyx Pharmaceuticals. I will be doing admin work. When will I find time to make dinner, grocery shop and do the laundry??? Good thing I have a husband to help me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home