Tuesday, January 05, 2010

You don't smell so great

So I have a sensitivity (not quite an allergy) to smelly things like perfume, cologne, aftershave, smelly lotions, etc.
I worked at our South San Francisco office today so I took BART down south. On the way home a woman sat next to me who was wearing some sort of lip gloss or perfume that smelled like fake watermelon.
When I smell things like that (not real smells, manufactured smells) I usually feel nauseated and get a headache. And riding on a train doesn't help.
I am finally starting to feel a little better. The 10-minute or so walk from the BART station home with some fresh air helped.
When things like that happen I contemplate on whether I should just move (not always an option on a crowded train), ask the person to move (which I find rude) or just suffer. I have figured out a way to kinda cover my nose with my hand so I can't breath in the smell.
I use Tide Free and the Bounce sheets with no dyes or perfumes. I have to be careful when I buy hair products as many of them have some horrible artificial smells.
People who sit near me at work know of my smell issue and are considerate and not wear a lot of smelly things around me. One time I had to ask a co-worker to not wear that cologne ever again. He is a good friend and I felt comfortable saying something.
Some people feel the need to bathe in their perfume, cologne, aftershave. Ugh! We don't still need to smell you after you leave the room!
And I used to be able to wear perfume and smelly lotions. So I hope I wasn't inconsiderate when I did.
I remember years ago when I lived in Oregon my friend Angela and I went to see the Dalai Lama (which was awesome). In the instructions it mentioned to not wear lotions, hairspray, perfumes, etc. We both found that rather odd. And I was worried about my frizzy hair. But we complied.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your experience on the Bart ride home. Sometimes I use those smelly lotions and I really don't think too much about it. So if it ever bothers you, pls let me know! Don't want you nauseous around me. :)

alicia

Wednesday, January 06, 2010 9:16:00 AM  
Blogger Ann said...

Thanks Alicia. I appreciate that. I have never noticed any "smells" you wear as bothering me. But if they ever do I will let you know ... nicely. :)

Wednesday, January 06, 2010 9:49:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home