Thursday, December 10, 2009

So sick of the greed fest

I do enjoy this time of year. I didn't used to. I worked retail for many years. (Believe it or not, but pet owners wait to buy things for their pets until Christmas Eve, too.) Then I was in the news business where news happens every day and a newpaper comes out 24/7.
Whether you believe in Christ or not I think we can all agree that Christmas is a time to give and appreciate the people in your life, family, friends, co-workers, etc.
I do enjoy giving gifts. Lately in my family we have decided to either not give gifts or give money to charity. But the kids still get gifts. I personally would rather give money or toys or whatever to someone or an organization that really needs it. If I want a new sweater or shoes I can get them myself.
But I am very careful and selective with the gifts for kids. Most of the kids we know are fairly fortunate. So pretty much no toys these days. Books, gift certificates for books, etc. (I do make a few knitted items--but am scaling back on that, too.)
Each year Curt and I scale back. This year we are just doing stocking stuffers.
I hate what a greed fest this time of year can be. There is an irritating Wal-Mart commercial (I realize there is more than one) that just drives me nuts. This little boy lists everything he wants, day and night. (I tried to find the commercial online and couldn't.) I just find it disgusting. Tell that kid he gets a few things and then let's give some toys to kids who aren't as fortunate and can't afford to shop even at Wal-Mart.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home