Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Reduce, reuse, recycle

About a month or so ago the building at work added a bin for compost. We have trash, recycling and compost. It would take me (and many others I noticed) about 5 minutes to figure out where to throw away what.
About a week after the compost bin came to work I started one at home. We just have a mini trash can with a lid where we throw things in there "that come from the ground." That is the best way to think what to compost.
It's really easy to do and I feel even better about the environment by doing this. (Above is the sign we have above our green compost bins at work.) If you have a green bin for grass clippings and such, that is where you can also throw your compost.
I have been trying to be environmentally aware these days. I have pretty much recycled since I have lived on my own. Now we are doing the compost at work and home. And recently I went to Ikea to drop off these long tube flourescent lightbulbs that were left in our back parking slab. You can't throw those things away. Ikea has a bin for you to drop off any of those types of blubs.
I also recycle batteries. We have a bin at work--pretty convenient. Ikea may also take batteries. The one I went to no longer does, but maybe the one near you does still take them.
I recently went to the ewaste place and dropped a bunch of stuff off. And I have started another ewaste pile for another drop off in the future.
As Billy Joel said, we didn't start the fire. But I feel like we need to take some responsibility for this. (My spin teacher actually played that Billy Joel song last night. Ha! Brought back some memories.)

1 Comments:

Blogger Erica Kern O'Neill said...

I think of the song from the Jack Johnson/Curious George cd about reduce, reuse recycle! : )

Casey has talked about starting a compost bin at our house. The City of Phoenix sells old recycle bins to be used for composting. I guess they are in good enough shape for composting but not good enough for recycling which sounds perfect. Good for you for doing your part!

Thursday, August 20, 2009 6:52:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home