Friday, July 17, 2009

I can cook!

We started our day off with "breakfast in bed." After breakfast we planned to meet Dad and Hilda in the lobby, but as soon as we walked out of our room they were walking by.
We headed to the St. Helena Farmer's Market to meet Julie, our cooking instructor. One other woman was in our class.
We sat down and talked about our first cooking experience. I talked about how I burned rice krispie treats the first time I made them. I also mentioned how I pretty much have to follow a recipe and can't really improvise. What I didn't mentioned was when I was a kid and my brother and I were old enough my mom started having us cook dinner once a week to help her out (being a single mom and all). I absolutely hated and begged for a different chore. So I had to vacuum the house. And I still kinda enjoy it--or at least the end result.
We walked through the farmer's market getting ingredients for our lunch. There was so amazing stuff. Curt and I bought some cheese. And I bought some cookies from Annie the Baker. (Oh my! Just tried one of her cookies--so good!)
After the market we hit Dean & Deluca for bread and a few other ingredients. Then off to Groth for wine tasting. Dad doesn't drink and Curt is not a wine drinker so Hilda and I got some extra tastings.
After some yummy wine we headed to Julie's house to cook. Curt made our appetizer and a basil paste, Dad and Hilda made the gazpacho, rub for the meat and prepared veggies for the grill, Susan and I made the dessert: ice cream and edible bowls. I was a little nervous about making the dessert. It sounded a little complicated. But the directions kept me feeling pretty confident.
Everything was really good. Oh man, good eats.
We probably got back to the hotel close to 5 p.m.--long day and we all needed a rest. I had a headache and needed a nap.
Since we ate late we weren't into having a full dinner. So at one point Curt and I headed to Dad and Hilda's room with a little basket of goodies for Dad (mostly from our garden) and some mini bundt cakes I ordered from Faye (Sweet Citrus). We ate our yummy little cakes and hung out a bit.
Dad and I decided to head to a grocery to get something light to eat. We got our goodies and headed back to the hotel.
Curt and I are just watching TV and relaxing. I am beat. Today was a long day--but a good day. I did have fun. And I think Dad really enjoyed himself.
Dad and Hilda hadn't been to Napa before. I think they really like it. I feel like when I am in Napa my stress level goes way down. It is so relaxing here.
Night night.

2 Comments:

Anonymous jodie said...

Sounds like a great weekend. What did you make the edible bowls out of?

Sunday, July 19, 2009 12:44:00 PM  
Blogger Ann said...

They were called tuile. I can share the recipe if you would like.
It was just sugar, egg, flour, vanilla extract, and? Not many ingredients.

Wednesday, July 22, 2009 10:14:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home