Saturday, February 21, 2009

Maui, you have been good to us

Well, we have to go home today. It is kinda sad. 
The last time (and our first visit) I was plotting to get us back here. And I did. This trip was in celebration of my 35th birthday, which isn't until October. But this is a good time to come out to Hawaii--especially for the whales. In September we are going to Oktoberfest in Munich in celebration of Curt's 40th. We are also going to Budapest, Prague and Stuttgart (to see our German friends).
So I am plotting how to get us back here. When it is firmed up I will let you in on my little plan. :)
Yesterday morning we had a yummy breakfast at the Castaway Cafe. Afterward I hit the beach for a couple of hours. Then I came back in for lunch. Then Curt and I headed to the Castaway Cafe for a drink. That is where I added fuu-fuu drinks Nos. 9 & 10. 
Then some more lounging on the beach. I started a second book on this trip the other day. Another Jodi Picoult book. This one is called Vanishing Acts. It is pretty good. So far a majority of the book is based in Phoenix. But I am a little offended how Phoenix and people who live in Phoenix are depicted. And I know when this author writes a book she really does her research. So I am not exactly sure how her research went this time. 
This is a Sheriff Jack in the book. I figured he was totally made up. But he isn't. He is Sheriff Joe. I am sure she couldn't use his real name--would probably get sued. Sheriff Jack makes his inmates wear pink underwear, has them eat bologna sandwiches and loves being in the media spotlight. Who does that sound like?
Anyway, so after beach time I came back to our condo to clean up for the Old Lahaina Luau. This was a really nice luau. We sat with a group of friends from Austin and Omaha. Many of them had also been to Prague and were telling me how they found ancestors in the Czech Republic. In my family the Chihaks came from--as my Grandpa says--Bohemia. Sometime last year I made a group on Facebook called I'm a Chihak. For the longest time only my cousin Alex and myself were in the group. Now there are at least 18 people in it and I am finding out all kinds of information about my ancestors, including a village named Cihak.
Back to the luau. Lots of good food and conversations. And the performances were amazing. At the luau I added to my fuu-fuu drink count, Nos. 11, 12 & 13 with a Mai Tai, Little Warrior and a Lava Flow. Now remember this is a luau and everything is watered down. So I am not some boozer or something. :) Though at some point during the show I started to feel sickly--but it wasn't from the booze, it was from all that sugar!
Afterward Curt and I just relaxed at the condo. And, of course, I zonked out on the couch sometime after 9:30. 
This morning I am going to do a little more reading, then I have to pack. We will have breakfast at the Castaway and then maybe take one last walk on the beach.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home