Monday, November 03, 2008

I may not be patriotic ...

But I do care about people, and right now especially our troops.
Recently Mia was asking me why I chose to make beanies for the troops. Not questioning, but more out of curiosity.
I told her that it first started when I found this pattern and it got me thinking that that would be a good project to work on. I told her I am against the war and I care about people. And it angers me to know that the soldiers don't have basic items while fighting for our county--whether or not I support the war.
This is my way of letting them know that I appreciate what they are doing for us. And it is my way of saying thank you.
So I was able to recruit some people to help me make handmade items for our troops. Today I sent the packages off to The Ships Project, who will take the items and send them off to those who need them in the Middle East.
We sent 49 hats thanks to me, Penny, Alicia, Lauren, Leah, Mary and Barbara and her knitting group. We sent "extras": 100 ChapSticks, character bandages, coffee, Slim Jims and Crystal Light thanks to Todd. We sent $125 for postage donation, which The Ships Project will use to send the care packages on to our troops, thanks to me, Todd, Sue and Faye.
And I know there are others of you out there who have expressed wanting to participate. The Ships Project will start taking donations again in January. So get to knitting or crocheting those hats and other items.

LinkI had to take all the items out of their extra packaging to send on to The Ships Project. Any extra packaging or air in bags takes up precious space. You can see the bags I filled with coffee, Slim Jims, ChapStick, bandages and Crystal Light. And the bottom photo is the 49 hats that were handmade. It took me roughly 5 hours to do one. And I knitted 20. You do the math.
I was very excited to be part of this project. And it felt great packing everything up and sending it on its way today.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lauren said...

WTG Ann! I'm happy to have been a small part of this package. I think I even spotted my three hats in the bottom left corner.

Tuesday, November 04, 2008 11:50:00 AM  
Blogger Erica Kern O'Neill said...

That's so cool! I started one and hope to get it done...sometime. I don't have the best track record on finishing projects, do I?? : )

Tuesday, November 04, 2008 4:19:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home