Wednesday, October 29, 2008

No jury duty service for me!!!

So I could have been called for jury duty today. I checked yesterday at 5:01 p.m. and I wasn't needed for the a.m. session. But I had to check back between 11 a.m. and noon for possible afternoon service. I wasn't needed again.
And you know how often I get called. I have lived in California for 3 1/2 years. I think I have gotten about seven summons. Yea, at least two a year. I recently found out one of the reaons: My middle name is on my DMV but not on my voter registration. So as far as they are concerened I am two people. As soon as the election is over I will be calling the voter registration people and let them know to add my middle name.
Thank goodness. Because this is so not a good time. My friend, co-worker, and another legal team member, Amy, had jury duty last week. She had to go in. But she just sat around all day--studying. I had it today. And our boss has it next Tuesday.
And today is one of our legal team's last day. So work is going to be even more busy and hectic until we find a new paralegal. But I know HR is all over it. Plus, Greg and I have some patent deadlines coming up, which we need to work on.

3 down, 6 to go

For this holiday season I am making 9 gifts. I have three done. I am also hoping I have time for, and it seems I will, this scarf project. (Penny sent me this project recently.) While in Missouri next month Curt's mom, grandma and I are going to work on this project.
It is a great feeling to share your hobby/craft with others who really need a little boost--whatever that may be, a beanie to keep them warm in Iraq, or on the streets or after chemo; a scarf to make someone feel cared about; a blanket to keep a baby a little warmer, etc. This may be something I focus on more in the future. Taking my craft to more of a charity level.

4 Comments:

Blogger Ryan and Emma said...

Count your blessings. I had jury duty a year and a half ago and it was for a month....on a murder trial. No fun.

I still have some bad dreams about what I saw.

Wednesday, October 29, 2008 5:16:00 PM  
Blogger kate said...

knock on wood but i have NEVER been called. of course that time period where i was registered to vote in a different place every year probably helped my odds. i hope i never get called in florida. bunch of whack jobs here!

Thursday, October 30, 2008 7:43:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In Arizona, and possibly other states, jurors are allowed to ask questions of witnesses. You have to write your question down, the judge has to approve it, and then it's read out loud.

I had a seriously lame-case juror assignment a few years ago and asked all sorts of questions, because the 12-year-old lawyers were NOT doing their jobs. One of my questions even became the basis of one lawyer's closing argument (no need to thank me for doing your job, really).

Too bad the jury isn't allowed to object! But it certainly made it a more interesting experience. I think I'm one of those rare geeks who looks forward to jury duty. :-)

Thursday, October 30, 2008 4:26:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

P.S. I think it's cool that you're becoming so jazzed for charity knitting. :-)

Thursday, October 30, 2008 4:36:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home