Monday, September 22, 2008

87

Today my granpda turns 87. Initially Sept. 22 was my due date. But apparently I was toasty and wanted to stay in the oven a little longer.
Happy birthday Grandpa Frank!
I called my grandpa today to wish him a happy birthday. He said, are you at work? Yes. Are you allowed to talk on the phone? Apparently. :)
As a little girl I was so lucky to have so many grandparents. I had two grandmas, two grandpas and three great-grandmas. My parents and I (and probably my brother, too, once he was born) would visit often. My parents would say, we are going to visit grandma. And my response would be, which one??? (I am sure there was so sass in that question, too.)
So I named most of the grandparents to distinguish them. My dad's mom had proclaimed when my mom was pregnant that she would be called Nana. My dad's dad we call Grandpa Frank.
I named my mom's parents Grandma and Grandpa Lisa. My mom has a sister, named Lisa, who is autistic and lived with them (and now with my grandma).
Then on to the great-grandmas. My dad's grandma was Grandma Chihak. My two mom's grandmas both had dogs. So I named them after the dogs: Grandma Chula and Grandma Peanut. And people called them that until they died. Actually people still call them that. After I got older I started calling Grandma Peanut Granita (since she was a little grandma).
I am still so lucky to have Grandma Lisa and Grandpa Frank and Curt's grandma, Grandma Phyllis.
My granita came to our wedding as a surprise. We didn't think she would come. I mean the woman was 95! But she came and she looked beautiful. Everyone got to see her. She had great food and wine. She died two days later on her birthday at the age of 96. I believe she waited to see me get married before she went to heaven.

****************************************************

Don't forget to check out my new blog, Go Fit Girl! See this post for details.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jodie said...

Go Fit Girl looks great!

Monday, September 22, 2008 1:04:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A wonderful tribute to all your
grandparents. Wow! I can't believe that Grandpa Frank is 87 years old!!!!He looks great! Hugs -M

Tuesday, September 23, 2008 7:56:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home