Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Yummy dinners

So I have never enjoyed cooking or have been a really good cook. I can follow a recipe as long as it is simple and doesn't have a ton of ingredients (or things I have never heard of).
Now I love pasta. Love it! When I first started WW I pretty much steered clear of it. But I have found ways to eat it fairly often. I have started eating the whole wheat pasta-- 3 pts. a cup vs. 4 pts. for the regular. So the way I look at it, I can eat more pasta with the whole wheat. Yum! I usually have about a cup and a half--it really is plenty.
A couple of weeks ago I decided to make penne pasta for Curt and myself. I sauteed garlic in olive oil along with brocolli and mushrooms. Then put a little extra olive oil on the pasta and added the veggies. So good and so filling. I get my oils in and veggies. (FYI: 1 serving of olive oil is 1 tsp. )
Last night I sauteed garlic with olive oil and added tomatoes. Man, that was REALLY good. The pasta was wheat spaghetti. 1 tsp. of olive oil on the pasta and toss in the sauteed tomatoes.
I also usually have a salad with my dinner and use Wish Bone's Salad Spritzers. I have tried the Red Wine Spritzer, Italian Vinaigrette and the Caesar. All good. And I keep one at work for my salads. If you don't like your salad doused with dressing you should check these out. Great invention!

4 Comments:

Blogger JenC said...

you must be reading my mind! for lunch today i had whole wheat rotini (that spiral pasta) and just tossed it with some minced garlic and sun-dried tomatoes (the ones i buy are marinated in herbs and olive oil -- so i don't add extra). it was so good! i'd also recommend that with sauteed shrimp or scallops.

i've tried whole wheat mac & cheese (i made it with soy milk). it was pretty good, but i don't think i was used to the pasta when i tried it. it was a bit of an acquired taste.

it's so weird that i never really cooked anything until i started eating healthier. it's usually so much yummier, and really about the same prep time as frozen food.

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 6:28:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That all sounds so yummy. I love cooking pasta, but I always buy spaghetti sauce out of the jar.


I was wondering about that spritzer thing. It seemed kind of weird, but I like my dressing really light, so maybe I should try it.

Thursday, June 21, 2007 2:07:00 AM  
Blogger Ann said...

Yum, I love sun-dried tomatoes. I am gonna have to get those for my pasta next time I am at the store.
I rarely use spaghetti sauce these days.

I think the spritzers are great. I personally don't like a lot of dressing for a few reasons. But with the spritzers you really can control how much you are eating. I have even thought of throwing it in my purse when we hit restaurants.

Thursday, June 21, 2007 9:09:00 AM  
Blogger JenC said...

dave thought i was crazy when i wanted to bring my low-fat blue cheese dressing in my purse to dinner. but it's half the calories and 1/3 the fat! :)

i didn't do it, though.

Thursday, June 21, 2007 1:50:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home