Monday, May 22, 2006

Not even 48 hours

Curt and I were in Tucson this weekend for a wedding. We flew in Friday night and left Sunday afternoon. It was a nice, quick visit. Wish we could have seen more people, but that just wasn't practical.
Saturday morning we headed to The Cup in Hotel Congress with my dad and Hilda. We were debating on whether to walk or drive. It is about a 10-minute walk from their house. Well, some of us are wimpy and we decided to drive. I am so glad we did. I woulda melted. (Note: I wasn't one of the ones voting to walk.) We had a nice breakfast at The Cup.
Afterward we drove to Eegee's. I had to get my strawberry slushie drink while in town. Here is the weird thing, I don't think my dad had ever had the drink before. Hilda and I couldn't believe it. I mean, if you are a Tucsonan you have had them. Crazy! OK, on the Eegee's Web site they have an adult only button. Curious, I clicked it. It gives recipes for Eegee's cocktails. HA!
After that Curt and I met my brother at The Grill. Curt and I just had sodas and fries since it hadn't been that long since we had eaten breakfast. And after I told John we would meet him there I remembered that Curt and I vowed to never go back--unless it was a late night meeting. We met my cousin Mark there over Christmas. We had horrible service and Curt wanted coffee, but they had no sweetner, just sugar. What's up with that??? Anyway, so we had a good visit with John.
Then back to the house to get ready for the wedding.
The wedding was held at the Z Mansion, which was a block from Dad and Hilda's house. So we walked there. It was a beautiful ceremony, short and sweet. The bride was gorgeous and brave to walk down stairs by herself in a huge gown and veil.
The wedding and reception were outside. They had these huge fans to keep it comfortable. At one point I was dying of heat. But for the most part it was fine.
Curt and I were seated with a few of the bride's cousins. We had fun chatting with them. One of the women had a almost-3-year-old. He was a doll. He was doing "squishy face." He would come up to you and grab and squish your face. He did it to Curt and me, too. Funny!
Eventually we sat with Dad and Hilda. We did a little dancing, too. Oh, and this was a Jewish/Mexican wedding. It was a blast! (Of couse, not as good as my wedding. But it would take a lot to top that.)
Sunday we met Mom and Fred at the Arizona Inn for brunch. I love going back there. It is such a great place--esp. for weddings. Hee hee! After the Inn we went back to their house for a bit before going to the airport. We looked at pics from their Greece trip and helped them get their photos off the digital camera and onto their computer.
I have to say flying out of Tucson is so easy. There was no one in line to get our boarding passes and check in luggage. And there was no one in the security line. So we were at our gate super early. We stopped at the bar for snacks and drinks. My father will cringe that we had El Charro Rapido. But that was our only option.
On the way home we didn't have a direct flight. We stopped at LAX. Curt was wandering around and saw NOOOOORM!--George Wendt. I didn't see any celebrities. But I sure saw a lot of pregnant women! Between the Tucson airport and LAX I saw at least 8 pregnant women. It was probably more--I started to lose count.
We got home about 930 to the pouring rain. And now we are back at work. Oh, and it didn't hit 100 while we were in Tucson--just 99. But it sure felt hotter than that. I love Tucson, but I really don't think I could go back there. Though I said that when I lived in Oregon. And I moved back to Phoenix a couple of years later.

1 Comments:

Blogger JenC said...

the grill seems like they've gotten increasingly pretentious over the past few years. there's a "manifesto" on the back of the menu now that says something to the effect of "if you don't like it, go away." there's even something about how you will be shunned if you ask for cheese on your tater tots. a little nuts!

i'm so glad you enjoyed the trip... it sounds like a great time! dave will be jealous that curt saw norm. :)

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 12:04:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home