Friday, March 07, 2008

About a year now

So about a year ago I started working out (first in the gym at work). For a month I walked about 3-4 times a week. Then in April I started the walk/run thing. My goal was to be able to run for 30 mins straight--because it is easy cardio and you can do it anywhere. Well, I hate running. But I was determined. I think it was Day 3 that I hurt my knee and had to rehab myself. I decided then and there that I hated running and it really wasn't for me, I mean, who was I kidding? I started on the elliptical. Love that machine. Sometime in June I joined Mavericks, the gym I am still with. This is the longest I have continually worked out--a whole year. Yes, I have joined gyms before. But usually working out was sporadic. I have had a few times in this past year where I didn't work out for a week or two or three--usually when I have been sick. But for the most part I have been very vigilant. I am proud of myself. Because I still really don't like exercise. I like how I feel afterward. And exercise is just part of my life now--just something I do. And I amaze myself every time I get up at 6:15 for the 7:15 morning yoga class. I do really enjoy yoga. My arms are getting slightly buff (well, buff for me).

Education in California

The DJs this morning were talking about some news in the education world. One is that homeschool teachers must have a teaching credential. This, of course, has caused a huge uproar. I imagine most parents who homeschool don't have the credential. Since I am not a parent (and don't plan to be one) I can only imagine how horrible the public school system is. I did OK. But I know the classes are too big, the resources suck, the learning level of the kids is so different, etc. And private school is very spendy. So if you can't afford private you gotta do public or homeschool. I personally am against homeschooling for the most part. I think in certain situations it is OK. But kids need the socializing and to make friends. That part of school is so important. I think also having different adults as a leader is important, too. I think my 5th grade teachers were the best teachers I ever had. Though my kindergarten teacher was pretty great, too. And even though I said I hated Mr. Rueben for government my senior year he brought the fiestiness and the fight out of me. Oh, and I can't forget Mr. Kluck for AP English. Crime and Punishment--now that is an intense book.
Anyway, I could go on and on.
And there was a report about cutting funds for education. I better not get started on that one. I will never stop. But the big guys in goverment just remember this, Children are our future. Let's invest in them!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way to go with the workouts, Ann! That's a great accomplishment. It is amazing how when you just stop fighting the concept of exercise, it can become (sort of) natural.

And as for homeschooling -- I've thought before that it might be kind of fun (because I was a nerd and loved school, and thus would love to relive the learning with my hypothetical kids), but I think I'd probably also like a break from my kids every day!

Friday, March 07, 2008 6:30:00 PM  
Blogger hollibobolli said...

I did one of my major papers on homeschooling when I worked on getting my degree to teach highschool English. I fully support homeschooling if it's done properly - there are support groups that parents can get involved in, and with the proper curriculum parents can provide the kind of education children can't get in today's public school system for the most part. There is absolutely no way. If you join these groups your children can go on field trips, be part of sports teams, have leaders in groups like girl scouts - they have socialization in those areas, they just have different opportunities for learning. Cutting funds for education and the sad state of what we pay our teachers (I couldn't live on what I made - I had to find something else that made more money) needs to be fixed.

But there are plenty of people who don't have any business homeschooling and their children suffer - so there really needs to be oversight.

I don't know - children rise to the highest. We need to give them the best we can.

/end that ramble!!!

I am so proud of you for your fitness program. I have watched you via your blog make the decision to lose weight, then tackle that and succeed. You've changed your eating habits, you've changed your exercise habits - you've shown that you can do things the healthy way and succeed. I think it's so wonderful - you have to be on top of the world!!!

Sunday, March 09, 2008 10:38:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home