Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Gall Bladders

Do you know what the gall gladder does?
Well, according to the Gall Bladder Guide it is an organ that assists the liver in the digestion of fat. The gall bladder stores the bile produced by the liver and releases it when it is needed in the process of digestion.
I know this doesn't seem like an exciting post ... but my brother had his removed this morning. He had to have emergency surgery. He and my mom went to the ER yesterday evening about 5 p.m. or so. My mom said John was in a lot of pain: doubled-over, sweating and shaking. They didn't get out of the waiting room until 9ish and didn't see an actual doctor until 10ish. Lots of tests and blood work, CAT scan at 1:30 a.m. And finally around 3 a.m. they found out it was his gall bladder. At that point they could finally put him on pain medication. (My mom told me that people who have had this say there is no pain like it.)
So he had surgery this morning to have it removed. My parents called me about 10:30 a.m. my time to tell me. They waited until after John was out of surgery. He will spend a few days in the hospital. But doctors expect a full recovery. (I haven't received any updates since this morning. Should get one tonight.)
So sounds like John is gonna have to ditch the coffee, soda and fatty foods.

********UPDATE*********
Talked to my mom tonight. John had the laproscopic surgery to remove the gall bladder. That is much less invasive and he will heal faster. She said he looked good after the surgery. She and Fred and my dad and Hilda went back this evening to see him. He was outta of it but doing good. And eating Jell-O. Bleh--I hate Jell-O!
He will likely be in the hospital until Friday morning or so.
So I sent him some get-well balloons and stuffed animal.
Thanks for well-wishes, good thoughts and prayers.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sounds really painful and even more painful that it took so longer to figure out what was the problem.

Glad to hear they solved it and he's getting better.

Tuesday, January 09, 2007 11:51:00 PM  
Blogger Erica Kern O'Neill said...

Give him my best. I'll send good thoughts his way.

Wednesday, January 10, 2007 8:16:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home