Thursday, December 08, 2005

Happy Holidays!

So I hate to admit this, but I kinda agree with Bush. But this is on a very minor issue that has gotten out of hand. Who cares that the White House "Holiday" card doesn't say Merry Christmas. There are some Evangelical Christians who are upset that the card doesn't mention Christmas. Some were so upset they threw the card away. Gimme a break!
Aren't there more important things to be upset about?
Plus shouldn't we embrace all religions? When Curt and I send out cards we use Happy Holidays or Season's Greetings. We have friends who are Jewish and we want to include them with our cards. Plus I am just more comfortable not using the "Merry Christmas." I have no problem with people who do. This is just my preference.
On CNN this morning someone was talking about how Christmas is about Christ. This is true. (Many celebrate it as a time to be with family and friends, too.) This isn't a slap to the true meaning of Christmas by not including that wording in a holiday card.
I am scared of this quote from a guy who is OK with "Christ"mas being left off the card:
"I think it's more important to put Christ back into our war planning than into our Christmas cards," said the council's general secretary, the Rev. Bob Edgar, a former Democratic congressman.

1 Comments:

Blogger Little Ginger said...

It's funny that you use the same quote about putting Christ in war planning and got a whole different take on it (I had the same quote on my blog awhile back). I interpreted it the same as the bumper stickers that say "Who would Jesus bomb?" like maybe if some religious thought were put into war planning, we wouldn't be as likely to enter into it in the first place (then again, war in the Mideast is all about religion). On another note, that is so cool that you guys are going to Europe!

Friday, December 16, 2005 9:33:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home