Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Dropping like fleas

So, poor Joey has fleas. A couple of weeks ago I noticed that he was scratching and biting much more than the normal cat grooming. I looked for fleas but didn't see any. So I figured he had some sort of skin condition. I made an appt. at the vet.

Then last Thursday (2 days before the appt.) I noticed that Joey did have fleas. So I called the vet to cancel the appt. and get advise on what to do. The woman told me to use Advantage. I thought you needed a prescription but she said no.

So Curt and I headed to Petsmart. They didn't have Advantage. But the guy told me they had stuff just as good. So we bought it, went home and applied the stuff to the back of Joey's neck.

By Sunday Joey was not getting any better. So Monday morning I called the vet to see what I could do. They told me that they didn't have any appointments available. But I could be a "work in."

So Joey and I headed to the vet's office. They got me in pretty quick. The vet checked him out. She said he was healthy--besides the lovely flea infestation. She also educated me a tad on fleas. (I am surprised at some of the stuff I didn't know--esp. because I worked at Petsmart for almost 3 years and I used to advise customers on what to buy and what was good.) She told me that you don't even have to see fleas to know your animal has fleas. The "flea dirt" and (ugh!!!) eggs are very noticeable.

The vet said the fleas can still get to your cat if it is indoor only--like Joey. Apparently these little jerks can jump through window screens, walk in the door when the owner does, etc. Curt and I think they came in under our door. There is a gap between the front door and the floor. (We are planning on weather stripping it soon.) She also told me that indoor cats don't need shots as often--which I had also thought--but Joey has never gone without--maybe late though. I really liked her and will be going back to that clinic.

So Joey and I got home and I put the Advantage (which you don't need an Rx for--but have to get from a vet) on right away. Then I headed to work. By last night those little jerky fleas were dying. Woo-hoo! I knew Advantage worked (Back in the day I used it as a preventative for Joey), but not that quickly. And after finding out about the eggs I was completely grossed out--so I vacuumed like a madwoman last night. And will continue to vacuum every day until the flea situation is under control. (The vet told me the eggs fall off and end up in a dust bunny of some sort, then feed off of it or something gross like that and then when Joey walks by the dust bunny the flea jumps right back on the cat.)

Now that you are completely grossed out and itching ... But now you know, BUY ADVANTAGE. Don't waste your time or money on anything else. (Frontline is supposed to be really good, too.) So I will be returning that stuff that didn't work to Petsmart and getting our 17 bucks back!

2 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie Matlock Allen said...

My dog & cat were attacked by fleas as soon as we arrived in Oregon. Scratching, scritching, "flea dirt" everywhere. Eww!! But they're on a monthly regimine of Advantage, and no more icky lil' fleas! Poor Joey!

Tuesday, October 18, 2005 2:27:00 PM  
Blogger Erica Kern O'Neill said...

Ick. I mean poor Joey. And Ann and Curt. : )

Tuesday, October 18, 2005 2:53:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home